I first had crawfish bread at Jazz Fest in New Orleans... and I've been hooked every since!
1 lb Crawfish Tails, Cooked
4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Cup Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped (+ some for garnish)
3/4 Cup Yellow Onion, Diced
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise (I recommend Duke's Mayo)
1 Tbsp Free Lance Spice Rub or 1-2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
1 French Loaf, split lengthwise
8 oz Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
3/4 Cup PepperJack Cheese, Shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.
2. Spread mayonnaise evenly on cut side of bread halves. Set aside.
3. In large skilet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion until softened (4-5 minutes). Add chopped garlic and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add Crawfish Tails, green onion, and parsley, stirring to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until Crawfish is heated throughout.
4. Add Free Lance Spice Rub or Cajun/Creole Seasoning. *see note at bottom.
5. Add cream cheese, and remove from heat. Stir until cream cheese is inorporated.
6. In a small bowl, combine Parmesan and PepperJack Cheeses.
7. Divide Crawfish Mixture evenly on bread halves. Spread evenly to cover. Top each bread half with cheeses. Sprinkle with more Spice Rub of choice.
8. Place bread on baking sheet.
9. Bake until cheese is melted (12-14 minutes)
10. Increase temperature to broil. Broil until cheese has browned. Top with more parsley and/or chives for garnish.
11. Allow to cool slightly then slice and serve warm.
This can be made ahead of time. Follow recipe through step 7. Wrap gently with plastic wrap and store in fridge until ready to cook.
*Free Lance Spice Rub is not loaded with salt like most cajun seasonings. So go lighter on the seasoning if using a store bought cajun or creole seasoning. Just keep tasting and adjust accordingly.