PAN SEARED RIBEYE
Cooking a perfect steak at home is not nearly as difficult as you may think! Just follow these steps, and you'll be there in no time!
14-16 oz Ribeye (See my simple Ribeye Choosing Guide)
1 Tablespoon Neutral Oil (Canola, Vegetable, Peanut)
1-2 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Italian Seasoning Fresh Ground**
4-6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
3 Garlic cloves, peeled, partially crushed
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Maldon's Flake Salt (For Finished Steak)
**I love using McCormick Italian Seasoning Grinder. It's easy to find at the store, and it's packed with flavor. I find myself using it all the time in many recipes now! (And it doesn't taste "Italian"). Since it is ground "fresh" each time you cook, it adds a lot of flavor!
Serve with a Perfect Baked Potato.
An hour or so before your ready to cook your steak:
1. Season steak liberally with Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Fresh Ground Italian Seasoning. Place on wire rack and allow to sit at room temperature.
When Ready to Cook:
1. Place skillet (iron, or other heavy duty skillet) on stovetop. Turn stovetop to high, and allow pan to completely heat up (3-5 minutes).
2. Pour 1 Tablespoon oil into skillet. Allow to heat up 30 seconds.
3. Place Ribeye in skillet and don't move for 3-4 minutes.
4. Flip Ribeye and cook other side for 3 minutes.
5. Flip Ribeye back over one more time. Turn heat to medium.
6. Place thyme and garlic on steak.
7. Add butter to pan.
8. Carefully tilt pan while scooping melted butter from pan onto steak with a spoon. (see video). Keep basting until desired doneness.
9. Confirm doneness with instant read thermometer and pull from skillet 120-125 degrees for medium rare. Let rest 5 minutes and coat with some of the browned butter in pan.
10. Serve whole or sliced. Garnish with sprinkle of Maldon's Flake Salt for added texture and flavor.